Thursday 9 January 2014

In town

I've been in London for a couple of days, where, taking no heed of Twelfth Night tradition, the streets were still lit with festive decorations.
I had a good wander around the Covent Garden area where, as usual, there were entertainers, on this occasion of excellent quality, drawing a large, appreciative crowd.
'Snow' in the form of gently falling spots of white light made the whole area look charming.
I was in town for an evening at the ballet - oh, joy!

A performance of Balanchine's three-act ballet, 'Jewels.'
The dancers were colour coded and the opening section, 'Emeralds' was absolutely charming.
Followed by a very lively 'Rubies' danced to Stravinsky's Capriccio
and ending with a girl's best friend, 'Diamonds' danced  to Tchaikovsky's Polish Symphony. 
Photos taken from the programme.
There were two intervals, which was good news because there are always interesting displays in the public spaces; tiny model stage sets

and costume designs.
There was a very comprehensive exhibition entitled, 'Raven Girl: The Making of a Ballet.'  Absolutely fascinating - how I wish that I'd seen the production last year!






The displays were full of fascinating details; I had never heard of a costume 'bible' but can well imagine what a valuable reference it can be.

There were some other lovely photographs in the accompanying leaflet but I notice that they have a small copyright logo with them so shall not include them in this post. If you are in London do see the exhibition, it is on until early February.

9 comments:

  1. Jewels! One of my favorites. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not seen it before so it was a real treat!

      Delete
  2. Oh Rosemary, 'Jewels' at the ROH, I'm so jealous. The Champagne Bar, red velvet, and the Royal Ballet, it doesn't get much better. I have never seen this one. And is that Marianela Nunez? One of my favourites, she is in my mind the greatest prima ballerina. Now you have made me jabber on, so next time take me, and I will be quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted, Gary, the 'diamond' girl in the programme photo is, indeed, Marianela, although from a 2011 production not the one that I saw.
      Always a wonderful atmosphere at the Royal Opera House, and great for people watching!

      Delete
  3. It looks like a very enjoyable outing. Although I am happy that I don't live in a large city, I do love the excitement I feel when I visit one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big city person either but love to visit. My first agent was based in the Covent Garden area so I know this part of London very well.

      Delete
  4. I can imagine the thrum of the milling crowd and their rosy complexions in the soft light. What a grand evening out. What did you wear?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an excellent seat in the stalls circle, which is slightly elevated and great for people watching everyone in the front stalls. Anything goes as regards dress these days, some people still dressing to the nines in evening dress, others smart day and a few no effort at all. I had been mooching about town in the afternoon and was dressed for comfort, (like to think it was smart day!) white pin-tucked evening shirt with a black bow tie, purple coatigan, black tights, black suede shoes with purple buttons, very large but fine purple pashmina. There is always a wonderful atmosphere there, and, as you suggest, very flattering lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for describing that. Yes, it seems anything goes these days, but I can imagine how smashing you looked in your shirt and bow tie!

    ReplyDelete