Tuesday 9 May 2017

Tuesday Intros: Mothering Sunday

I love getting a surprise parcel in the post, especially when it's book-shaped!  I recognised the First Born's handwriting on our address. Good, we enjoy the same sort of reading material.
 
It is a short story, beautifully structured, told with a female voice. Like Graham Swift's other books it is suffused with a sense of loss. I was hooked from the first page.
I started the book and didn't put it down until I got to the end.
Joining Barbara, the hostess of Tuesday Intros.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. After Henry James the clarity of the writing was a delight! It's a female, first person narrative throughout. A novella. I loved it.

      Delete
  2. I love the flow of this prose. Simple and powerful. I'll keep an eye out for this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Modigliani makes a striking cover, although I'm not too sure that it fits the story very well.

      Delete