Tuesday 5 September 2017

Tuesday Intros: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


In the summer we took a short break to the island of Guernsey. I first read this book a few years ago and had forgotten about it until I saw it on display in the Guernsey Information  Office. Now I've read it again and wish I had done so before the holiday as, by chance, we were staying in the area of St Martin in which the book is set.

The St Martin coast.
The book is set just after the Second World War. Guernsey had been the only part of Britain to be captured and occupied by Germany and the story is told by means of an exchange of letters. 
Here is the opening page.
For all that the book is about the cruelties of occupation it is a very gentle book full of likeable characters and I found it a 'feel good' read. While on the island we were told that a film of the book is being made.
Linking up with Barbara who is the hostess of Tuesday Intros.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book a few years ago...I'm glad it is still captivating readers. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book a lot when I read it many years ago. Hope you like it.

    Thanks for linking up today; I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.


    หีฟิต

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really a beautiful blog.It is very astonishing and marvelous design.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete