Sunday 4 March 2018

Seeds

We are putting a lot of food out for the birds during this cold weather and also eating rather more than usual ourselves. A solitary fieldfare appeared on the lawn yesterday, we usually see them in flocks and I think that this one must have been blown off course by the stormy weather. We put out water and some apples from the store that were softening and it ate steadily away at one for much of the day. I thought perhaps it was injured, but when a blackbird and a robin came to share the food it put up a very spirited defence and sent them away. Like the birds, we also like to eat a good amount of seeds and nuts. I make  savoury biscuits with seeds based on a recipe in The Green Kitchen book. I'm not a strict recipe follower, I adapt quite freely with whatever happens to be in the house.
I keep everything very simple and omit the orange juice and honey. I tried it the first time I used the recipe and it was far too sweet for my taste. I'm also quite happy to leave out salt. I make half the quantities stated below, spread the mixture and break into random pieces when cooked.

My ingredients are
spelt flour
mixed seeds
olive oil
crushed linseed 
plus water to get the right gloopy consistency.
The result is a very crisp, thin and seedy biscuit. 
Lovely with soft cheese and a few grapes.

5 comments:

  1. I too add seeds - when I cook that is. I feed the birds all winter and enjoy it immensely. They are all becoming very territorial now and I am sure I heard cheeps coming from one of the bird houses on the back porch. I sure hope some bugs come out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful when you can hear birdsong. Cold and wet here and due to get colder. I'm still cooking - and getting fatter in the process.

      Delete
  2. There is something cozy and lovely about baking on a stormy day. My baking days here in Texas are coming to an end as it will soon be too hot to turn on the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Michelle, I've NEVER known it to be too hot to turn on the oven. (I use an Aga and it is on the whole time.)

      Delete
  3. I feed the birds all winter and enjoy it immensely. They are all becoming very territorial now and I am sure I heard cheeps coming from one of the bird houses on the back porch. I sure hope some bugs come out soon.สมัคร D2BET

    ReplyDelete